The accommodation venue, the A&O Hostel in Leipzig
During the 10-day-session all participants will be accommodated in the Leipzig depandance of the A&O Group which is hosted in the former residence of the Empire Post (in German: Reichspost). As it is under monumental protection, the building offers a charming combination of modern furnished rooms and a historic ambience. Located only 200 meters away from the main station of the city of Leipzig and near most of the other session venues the Hostel will guarantee a good and comfortable stay of the delegates as well as all officials and teachers. The A&O Hotels and Hostels Holding AG is also one of the sponsors of Leipzig 2015.
The Opening Ceremony venue, the St. Nicholas Church
On the 9th of November 2015 the academic programme of the 80th International Session will be officially opened during the Opening Ceremony in the St. Nicholas Church in Leipzig. It is an ideal place to start the Committee Work and to get a deeper insight into the session’s overarching theme “Fundamental Rights in Europe”.
Starting from 1982, people gathered in the St. Nicholas Church for the weekly prayer for peace (in German: Friedensgebet). In September 1989 non-violent demonstrations were started here by the East German citizens supported by the Lutheran Church and the local parson Christian Führer. These demonstrations in Leipzig were held in order to demand rights such as the freedom to travel to foreign countries and to elect a democratic government. In the course of autumn 1989 these Monday demonstrations were repeated in many other German cities and were an important asset to the peaceful revolution which ended the dictatorship in the former German Democratic Republic (GDR).
The St. Nicholas Church was built in about 1165 – around the same time the city of Leipzig was founded. Thus St. Nicholas is not only one of the largest buildings of the church in Leipzig, it seems to be the oldest one as well. It is named after St. Nicholas, the patron saint of merchants and wholesalers. Built in Romanesque style in the beginning, the church was enlarged in the early 16th century with a more Gothic tending extension. In the 18th century also the interior was remodeled in neoclassical style. Now more than 1.000 people can gather in the very impressive nave of St. Nicholas to enjoy the architecture with its painted ceilings and the romantic organ. Between 1724 and 1749 St. Nicholas has also seen several performances of the famous German composer and musician Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750), who was one of the most important exponents of the Baroque period.
We are very happy that the parish council of St. Nicholas-St. Johns has granted this prestigious venue to the 80th International Session in order to celebrate its Opening Ceremony.
The Teambuilding venue, the Anton-Philipp-Reclam-School
On the 7th and 8th of November 2015, the first official section of the official programme of the 80th International Session in Leipzig will start at the Anton-Philipp-Reclam-School. The bilingual approach taken at this secondary school offers an ideal setting for intercultural exchange during the Teambuilding.
The school is a comprehensive secondary school, which leads to the Saxon Central Baccalaureate for university entrance in eight years of secondary school. As one of only two high schools in Saxony, the Anton-Philipp-Reclam-School offers an in-depth bilingual education in French and German since 1993. Commonly to all educational programmes the second-preferred language is French; thus, from the fifth grade onwards students are taught both English and French language courses. Owing to the linguistic profile of the school, the students take either Spanish or Italian classes as compulsory third language, from the eighth grade and beyond. Currently, approximately 1.000 students are taught by 90 teachers at the school.
The EuroConcert venue, the Banquet Hall of the New Town Hall
The EuroConcert of the 80th International Session in Leipzig will take place in the Banquet Hall of the New Town Hall on the 12th of November 2015 in the evening.
The Leipzig New Town Hall is the seat of the city administration since 1905. Nearly six years after the laying of the foundation stone, it was officially inaugurated on October 7, 1905. Due to the bombing of Leipzig in World War II, the New Town Hall had to be restored. In 2015 this impressive and historical venue celebrates its 100th anniversary.
The Banquet Hall is located in the New Town Hall and regularly serves as an official venue for theatre, musical and concert performances. With its inspiring atmosphere the Banquet Hall provides therefore an excellent setting for the ceremonial EuroConcert.
The Committee Work venues
Our participants will be part of a number of committees that resemble the parliamentary committees of the European Parliament, such as the Committee on Foreign Affairs (AFCO) or the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs (ECON). As the core of the academic programme, the Committee Work will take place at different locations throughout the city of Leipzig.
The Member of the European Parliament Constanze Krehl (SPD), the local organisation of the Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU), the sociocultural centre “The villa”, the Europa-Haus Leipzig e.V., the Polish Institute of Leipzig as well as the Foundation of the “Haus der Geschichte der Bundesrepublik Deutschland” (House of the History of the Federal Republic of Germany), the local radio station Radio PSR and the Friedrich-Ebert Stiftung have kindly offered to share their facilities with us for the time of Committee Work. The participants will have the unique opportunity to develop their resolutions in various political and cultural environments while experiencing the city of Leipzig from different viewpoints. The organising committee would like to express their gratitude to our aforementioned partners. We are looking forward to fruitful discussions in their locations.
The General Assembly venue, the KONGRESSHALLE am Zoo
On the 13th and 14th of November, the General Assembly of the 80th International Session in Leipzig will take place in the KONGRESSHALLE.
The KONGRESSHALLE was built and officially opened in 1900. As in 1989 the interior was destroyed it was fully reconstructed and enlarged from 2001 until autumn 2015. The great hall, which is built in the art nouveau style and constitutes the largest room of the building, seats up to 400 people. Until 1981 where the city concert hall, the third “Gewandhaus” was opened, the KONGRESSHALLE hosted also concerts, e.g. those conducted by the famous Kurt Masur. The KONGRESSHALLE is located directly next to the Zoo of Leipzig and the community college of the city of Leipzig.